Shipping Fragile Items with uShip
At uShip, we know ensuring the safety of items like antiques, glassware and other delicate items during transport is of the utmost importance. We’ll help you with how to ship fragile items, help you get shipping rates from reliable transporters, and give you some advice as well. If you need assistance along the way, don’t hesitate to contact us.
With the uShip marketplace, finding the best shipper for fragile items at the best shipping rate is easy. Create a shipment listing describing your item and your needs for the transport. Then, transporters who specialize in shipping fragile items and antiques will provide rates for your review. You can talk to them about their experience and your needs. Accept the rate and shipper you want to work with, and get ready for your delivery.
How to Ship Fragile Items
Fragile goods delivered in just three easy steps!
1 | Create Your Shipment Listing
First, consider your timeframe and pickup and delivery locations. You’ll also want to know the dimensions and weight of your fragile item. Include photos so the transporters can see the item. Be as detailed as possible in the description of your fragile item. The more information, the better for transporters to give you the best rates they can provide.
2 | Choose the Best Shipper for Fragile Items
Once your shipment listing is complete, you will start getting shipping quotes from transporters as they compete for your business. This ensures you get the best rates. As the quotes come in, talk directly to the transporters. Ask them about their experience with shipping fragile items or antique delivery like yours. Check out their carrier profile as well.
Each transporter on uShip has a carrier profile with their transportation history, customer rated feedback, and safety records. Review these profiles to see the special care items the transporter has shipped through uShip and the customer feedback detailing the experience they had with the shipment. Shippers will also include their insurance coverage on their profiles. You can always purchase additional cargo insurance through uShip. After talking to the transporters and reviewing their profiles, you can feel confident you’re working with the best fragile item shipping company.
3 | Special Care Item Shipping & Delivery
After you have selected your service provider, contact them directly with any concerns, additional details, or questions you have about your fragile item shipment. Work with them to make sure it’s packaged correctly, either by you or by them. Coordinate on pickup and delivery dates and times, and share any third party contact information that may be beneficial to a smooth shipment. Have payment ready at the agreed upon time and please let us know if you have any issues communicating with your fragile shipping carrier. We’re here to help before, during, and after your fragile item delivery.
Get Quotes Now
How Much Does it Cost to Ship Fragile Items?
The cost to ship fragile items and antiques depends on the dimensions and weight of the item, the distance to be traveled, and any additional services needed to ensure safe transport. On average, the cost to ship special care items is $2.03 per mile under 100 miles and $0.39 per mile under 1000 miles.
Check out our cost to ship special care items page for a better idea of what it may cost to ship your item. There, you’ll see fragile shipments completed through the uShip marketplace, and get a better idea of how we work.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR SHIPPING DELICATE ITEMS
- Pick the correct sized box: Choose a box with less than 2 inches of room left at the top.
- Select high-quality materials: Select high-quality materials: Choose high quality and sturdy material to reduce damage when shipping.
- Add wrap and padding: Wrapping and padding your product within the box helps to prevent the item from moving around too much.
- Add “FRAGILE” labels: Adding a ”FRAGILE” label can’t ensure a safe deliver, but it can encourage better handling.
Check out our Fragile Shipping Guide for more detailed tips on how to package and prepare fragile items for shipment.
TIPS FOR SHIPPING FRAGILE ITEMS
Improper packaging is the biggest cause of damages during transport. Improper packaging is the biggest cause of damages during transport. The following are some tips that can help ensure safe delivery when shipping delicate items
- For packing artwork, constructing the box yourself is simple and the materials needed are easily found if you don’t already own them. Special made strong boxes are available, though costly.
- When shipping glassware and other delicate objects, proper wrapping and packaging techniques ensure safe delivery and a happy recipient.
- If you are shipping antiques, choosing the right special care transporter is as important as how you prepare and package the piece.
- With furniture, it’s important to provide ample time for shipment preparations and the actual shipment, as well as thoroughly communicating the needs of shipping antiques with your service provider.
- When it comes to shipping a piano or moving a pool table, professional piano or pool table movers are a must because of the weight/size of the objects and their sensitivity to improper movements. You may want to consider a white glove moving service.
Online Business: In-Home Delivery for Special Care Items
For online retailers of any size, uShip’s In-Home Delivery solution provides first-to-final mile delivery (as opposed to final-mile delivery) of large items at competitive prices.
uShip In-Home Delivery is a suite of logistics technology tools that reduce your shipping costs and increase your sales. We build instant shipping rates right into your checkout, give you access to a curated network of mobile-enabled, feedback-rated carriers, and offer managed services so you can focus on your business, not shipping. Find out how uShip can help your business: